Monday, June 24, 2013

Carlo's Goes Cruising


While I now call the “Sunshine State” my home, I actually grew up right outside of Philadelphia.  I love living in Florida, but I have to admit that I do miss Philly from time to time.  Walking around Olde City, going to Eagles games at the Linc, chowing down on a perfect Pat’s Cheesesteak…just some of my fondest memories.  Another perk of growing up in the Northeast is that we were close to New Jersey.  I know, I know - some of you are probably laughing at me right now and thinking, “How can living near New Jersey be a perk”?  But just hear me out for a second…


If you didn’t know, there’s a little town in Jersey called Hoboken, which is home to (in my personal opinion) one of the best Italian bakery’s you’ll ever find….Carlo’s Bake Shop. You might recognize Carlo’s from the TLC show Cake Boss.  They’re famous for their custom cakes, but they have just about every kind of goody you can imagine in their store; from cookies and brownies to traditional Italian treats.  Every once and a while my mom and I would get a chance to drive up to Carlo’s where there was always a line out the door.  I don’t think we ever left with less than 3 boxes filled with cupcakes, cannoli’s, cookies, pastries – you name it, and I’m sure we bought it!  Trust me when I say that everything in this place is absolutely TO DIE FOR!!


Now, moving all the way down the East Coast makes Carlo’s trips a little difficult.  A sad thought, for sure.  So, you can imagine how excited I was to find out that all hope is not lost and I can STILL get my Carlo’s fix thanks to a certain cruise line. 


Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the owner of Carlo’s Bake Shop, Buddy Valastro, to open up an extension of his family business on their new ship, the Norwegian Breakaway!  The ship will feature all of the amazing treats that the original bakery is known for, and will also give cruisers the opportunity to take cupcake decorating classes and pre-order custom cakes for special celebrations.  The shop will be housed on Deck 8.  Some of the menu items include cookies, cakes, pies, chocolate mousse, chocolate and vanilla cannoli’s, cream-filled lobster tails, cheesecake, tiramisu, and chocolate truffle’s.  I don’t know about you, but reading this list alone is giving me a sugar high!

 
Now, being the avid cruiser that I am, it took me all of about 3 seconds to convince myself that I needed to book a trip on this ship.  A seven-day Caribbean vacation AND I get to reunite with my good friend Carlo’s…oh yeah, there’s no way I missing out on this!


**Side note for all potential cruisers: The Breakaway is now open for bookings.**

No comments:

Post a Comment