Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Going Cronut Crazy


Cronut.  Unless you live under a rock, I’m sure you’ve heard of this unique treat by now.  But, just in case this new pastry fad has flown under your radar, allow me to help.  This hybrid croissant/donut is the brainchild of New York’s Dominique Ansel Bakery, and is in such high demand right now, that according to Craigslist, bidders are willing to pay upwards of $60 to get their hands on one!  They’re shaped like donuts, but the dough that’s used is similar to that of the croissant, so they have multiple layers, just like scrumptious French pastry.  Once they’re fried, they are rolled in sugar, filled with a cream, and topped off with a sweet glaze. 


Personally, I think these things sound ridiculously yummy, and I’ve been searching high and low for a place to get one.  My efforts thus far have unfortunately not been successful.  I’m a lover of both donuts AND croissants (and really, who wouldn’t be?) so in my mind this is a match made in pastry heaven.  So, you can imagine my surprise when I read an article in Cosmo entitled “The Cronut (Half Donut, Half Croissant) Is Just a Beautiful Tease”.  WHAT??!!?? You mean this delectable delight isn’t the stuff of my dreams?


The reviewer and author of this piece claims that after first being put on a two-week waiting list to actually get a cronut from the Dominique Ansel Bakery (yes, they are that popular), the much buzzed about treat left her “underwhelmed”.  Now, to be fair, she didn’t say that the cronut as a whole was a total flop, just one particular element of it.  Let me explain…


She claims that while the “chewy consistency of the croissant mixed with the sweet doughyness of a donut” is awesome, it’s the filling that takes this treat down a couple of notches on the scale of deliciousness.   Apparently, the cream in her lemon-maple flavored cronut was overpowering, made it a bit soggy (which makes cutting into it a difficult and messy business), and messes with the texture of the dessert itself.  Her verdict: It’s good, but not worth all the hype.


Well, I have to say that this review leaves me more confused than ever.  Knowing my love of all things sweet, should I continue my quest for the elusive cronut – or take this review to heart and abandon the search for fear that it might not live up to my expectations?  This is quite the conundrum, indeed.  So, now is when I appeal to you, my loyal readers…I’d like to know if any of you have actually tried a cronut.  Is it everything I hope it to be, or is it really just a “beautiful tease”? Sound off with your thoughts and let me know!





No comments:

Post a Comment