Tuesday, July 23, 2013

America's Haunted Hotels


Anyone who knows me will tell you that I’m always down to go on vacation.  Duh, who isn’t, right?  While I love to go on more typical getaways (a cruise, a trip to Europe, etc.), I also think it’s cool to do more non-traditional trips - just to change things up a bit.  Recently, I’ve been thinking about planning a trip where I stay in some of the most haunted hotels in the U.S.  Okay, so I’m assuming that right about now some of you are thinking this is an awesome idea…some of you are thinking I’ve got a screw or two loose in the noggin…and some of you are questioning my definition of the word “cool”.  But come on guys, even if you think this sounds like the dumbest vacation idea EVER, you have to admit that it’s different. I’ve seen those shows on TV where they talk about how haunted some hotels are, and I think it’d be neat to check some of them out for myself…maybe find a ghost or two.

So, for kicks and giggles, I did some research and came across an article on the Travel Channel website.  And wouldn’t you know it, the article just so happens to list the top ten most haunted hotels in America.  Let’s start with #10, shall we?

10. Hotel Roosevelt (Hollywood, California): One of the spirits that’s said to haunt this hotel is Marilyn Monroe.

9. Stanley Hotel (Estes Park, Colorado): This hotel was the inspiration for Steven King’s epic novel, The Shining.

8. Hotel Chelsea (New York City): In its heyday, this landmark hotel was home to greats like Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and Alice Cooper.  Dylan Thomas and Sid Vicious are just two of the famous ghosts said to now haunt its halls.

7. La Fonda Hotel (Santa Fe, New Mexico): This place is supposedly haunted by some ghost’s of the Old West, with the lobby and bar being the most active areas.

6. The Logan Inn (New Hope, Pennsylvania): My old stomping grounds!  My mom used to own a boutique in New Hope, and I’ve actually eaten at this Colonia-era Inn that was originally built as a tavern.  I got to hear plenty of stories about the ghosts in this place, so it’s too cool to see it on this list.  I have to admit, though  - I never did see any actual ghosts when I was there.

5. The Equinox Resort (Manchester Village, Vermont): Abe Lincoln’s wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, is said to haunt this 200-year-old resort.  It was a favorite summer getaway for the family.

4. The Queen Mary (Long Beach, California): This retired ocean liner was permanently docked and turned into a hotel in 1967.  I actually got a chance to stay here when I was about 16, and I can say that while it’s incredibly beautiful, it is definitely creepy!  I didn’t actually see any ghosts, but I had this weird feeling that I was being watched the entire time I was staying there.  Some of you are probably laughing at me now, but trust me when I say this place is totally spooky.

3. The Crescent Hotel (Eureka Springs, Arizona): An episode of Ghost Hunters was filmed here, and they actually captured an image on their thermal cameras of a full body apparition!

2. The Myrtle Plantation (St. Francisville, Louisiana): This place is said to be one of America’s “most haunted homes”.  Supposedly, there are at least 12 spirits that haunt this bed and breakfast.

1. The Provincial Hotel (New Orleans, Louisiana): This was a former Confederate hospital, and people say that it’s haunted by the ghosts of Civil War soldiers.






 So there you have it, ten of the most haunted hotels in America.  Here’s the link to the actual article if you want to check it out:


**The hotels featured in the pictures are: The Stanley Hotel, The Logan Inn, The Queen Mary, and The Myrtle Plantation**

No comments:

Post a Comment